Chief Operating Officer
Opportunity: The Chief Operating Officer will work closely with and manage the Special Projects Director and Program and Operations Manager while serving as a member of the organization’s senior leadership team, reporting to the Executive Director. This person will oversee finance, operations, human resources, and strategic use of data. They will also support the Executive Director with strategic planning and board management. They will be an exceptional project manager with the ability to multi-task effectively and efficiently. This leader will also understand that The Oakland REACH is not a typical nonprofit organization – it is a hard-charging, intense environment where everyone gives 110% in service of our community’s kids and families. To be successful, someone needs to be flexible in their communication style and be able to interact with a diverse range of people from local community leaders, parent organizers, funders, partners, and public officials. They need to be nimble to ensure what we do keeps the needs of our families at the center. Most importantly, this person will be an essential player behind the scenes fueling our team to ensure that so many more black and brown students attend a high performing Oakland public school than happens today.
Key Responsibilities of the COO include:
Finance and Budgeting
○ In partnership with ED, oversee team payroll approval and submission
○ Monitor budget-to actual financial results on a quarterly basis and recommend adjustments as needed
○ Develop and maintain internal accounting controls and procedures
○ Review financial reports and lead our annual budgeting process
○ Oversee grant reporting process including project management
HR and Talent Management
○ Build and maintain high-quality performance management system for staff
○ Oversee and improve talent management practices across the organization, including systems for hiring, onboarding, and supporting staff
○ Develop and implement a strategy for staff career pathways and professional development offerings
Operations and Organizational Infrastructure
○ Serve as primary liaison with external development, accounting, and human resources vendors
○ Work with Data Manager to ensure the organization is collecting, using, and interpreting data effectively to guide improved programmatic outcomes
○ Support organizational operations as needed
Strategic Planning and Project Management
○ Highly skilled at project management, including the ability to develop and execute against large scale project plans as well as develop daily and monthly work plans.
○ Partner with the Executive Director to create and refine the organization’s strategy through 2020; lead the team in setting annual and quarterly goals and executing against them.
○ Support the Executive Director in strategic planning with the board and external partners.
QUALIFICATIONSIn order to fulfill these responsibilities, the ideal COO candidate will be:
● An accomplished operations leader who has a track record of effective staff management, budget, and human relations work.
● Demonstrated commitment to The Oakland REACH’s mission and programmatic goals.
● Culturally competent and a self-reflective leader who understands the effects of race, class, ethnicity, income, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and other issues of difference in society and is able to lead direct conversations about them.
A builder of authentic relationships with parent leaders, community partners, policymakers, funders, and other supporters, able to engage with a variety of individuals in service of the organization’s goals and priorities.
● Experienced in working effectively with other senior leaders and a Board of Directors.
● Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and organization; able to focus on key organizational priorities without losing sight of the details.
● Comfortable overseeing finance, operations, and contract management for an organization of similar size.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary range of $140,000-165,000 and robust benefits including medical, dental, retirement, and monthly reimbursements for cell phone and internet costs. More details can be provided upon request.
Please submit a resume online at https://bit.ly/2UrozIU. For additional questions about this position or to speak with someone about your interest, please contact Angelica Molero at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 510.575.9635.
At The Oakland REACH, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate them, support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our staff, our mission, and our community. The Oakland REACH is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Recruiting staff to create an inclusive organization is a priority, and we encourage applicants from all backgrounds. Candidates are evaluated solely on their qualifications to perform the work required.